Everything begins with a small gesture.
Thank you very much for visiting this website. It is still puzzling to me that we can connect so easily from every place in the world.
Every time somebody asks my wife (Ulla), what is it that I do, she turns to me gently, smiles, and asks me to explain it to people. It is not easy. The fact is that things are a bit complicated. To begin with, I currently live between Mexico and Switzerland.
But all confusion aside, first of all, I am a composer.
Music gave me the tools to makes sense of my place in the world.
I am lucky enough to dedicate 25 years of my life to music composition. But this is where it gets complicated. I am also running several startups that I co-founded in the fields of civic technology, software development, social and public entrepreneurship, digital inclusion and innovation architecture. Although my education background relate mostly to music and contemporary art holding a Bachelors in Music Composition (Guanajuato University), a Masters in Digital Art (Pompeu Fabra University), a Ph.D. in Music Composition (Harvard University), I am writing these lines from my office as an Associate Professor at the School of Government of the Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education, where I am the Director of the Laboratory for Entrepreneurship and Transformation (LET).
I do not fit into traditional models of work. And I feel fine.
Now you understand Ulla. It is still challenging to explain that a person is interested -and active- in several fields of work. Nonetheless, I know that I am not alone (at all). There are a new emerging and growing hybrid-citizen, one that is not defined by the profession or any other stereotype, but rather by their curiosity and complexity.
The core of my work include but is not limited to: Music composition and sound art Entrepreneurship (social, public and technological) Innovation Institution and Centers Desing Horizons Architecture Framework Transdisciplinary collaboration The Future of Education Collaboration Community Building Applied creativity Digital inclusion
It is all about provoking talented creative individuals to work together to bring to life projects that should exist and matter to people.
I believe there is enormous potential for these hybrid-citizens. My job is to provoke the conditions for them to thrive and tackle social and interesting challenges. Because of this diversity, I enjoy working with many different sectors. Once you have the community, then we establish purposeful bridges between academic institutions, government agencies, private companies, NGOs, to invest time, resources and talent, hoping that together we can improve our immediate context.
Ever growing Manifesto
- We cannot conceive life without a desk, paper, silences and thought, but only with the perspective that others will join or enjoy whatever it is on the making.
- Although we listen carefully, we are independent of the good opinions of others.
- In our work we search to create pauses, build infrastructure for creativity and innovation along with memorable focused experiences.
- We believe that expressing ourselves through creativity is a fundamental human right.
- We defend our time being to achieve a creative, exciting and peaceful life.
- We make our work a combination of precise instructions and free interpretation that can work as a sysytem. We create systems, not methods.
- We search not for the conventional, but rather the meaningful.
- Our endeavours are highly collaborative and require a transdisciplinary teams to bring them to life. We love this.
- In our work we search the limits between the creators and the results, bluring individual credit into collectiveness.
- We believe that geographical diversity, intersection of interests and phenomena coming from other fields of knowledge will create more engaging life experiences.
- We do not limit to the solely act of exercising our profession. We see every project as a “piece”, regardless of its nature. For us, designing and innovation lab is as beautiful as making a piece of music, the process and care is the same, it is just a different outcome.
- Through curiosity, discovery and applied creativity we make ourselves more useful and connected to others by building communities, projects and services that should exist to improve people’s lives.
- Our creative processes and values are simply translated to other endeavours outside of discipline contrains.
- Openness, respect and tolerance are three of our core values, therefore we reject nothing.